daddygumit

This is a journal of Mee and Zac and our adventure starting our family.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Happy Holidays!


It’s funny to me when people comment about how Chloe is lucky. To me, it's obvious that we’re the lucky ones. Who wouldn’t be? This girl stops traffic wherever she goes. Lately she’s taken to waving from side to side like a princess on a parade float when we’re out in public and who could blame her? Being out with her is like being part of a celebrity entourage. Once when I was pushing her through a department store in her stroller, someone yelled, “Oh look! That one is SOOO CUTE!” Heads proceeded to whip around and perfectly lipsticked mouths emitted “oohs” and “ahhs” as we walked through a dozen black lab coated cosmetics ladies smiling and clapping for us. And then there was the time we were in a hot dog line with a flower of young ganghood generously dispensing intimidation all around until he looked down at Chloe. Have you ever seen a thug melt? “Nice but strange” doesn’t quite seem to cover it. The other day, a shopper at the mall plum stopped in her tracks to stare and smile and repeat dazedly, “She’s so pretty. She is so pretty.” As if we didn’t know. And she didn’t even get a chance to find out how clever and charming and goofy funny our girl is too and that the brilliance and delight of her smiles can make the sun shine indoors. It hardly seems fair that one child be possessed of so many gifts. Even her pediatrician says that she’s going to rule the world one day. Yep, we’re the ones who got luckier than we ever deserved.

On certain occasions, particularly during family gatherings when Chloe is the center of attention, everyone in the room ooohing and ahhing and watching her more devotedly than a season opener of the Amazing Race, I feel more than lucky. Then I’m moved and humbled at the rightness of things, and kind of, I don't know ... proud? because being loved is clearly what our girl was meant for and I'm so glad to be here to do it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

And a special “happy new year” to all our friends in Kazakhstan (Hi Marina!), to whom we owe so much.












PS: So over Christmas I got treated to the inexplicable sight of my mother, the personification of “ladylike dignity,” crouched on my kitchen floor cheerfully being fed one goldfish cracker after another from her granddaughter’s little hands. I’m pretty sure she knew that those crackers had been scattered all over the floor a few minutes earlier too. Nice but very very strange.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara Libbey said...

Great big "OOOH's" and "AAAH's" from this side of the tollways.

I just can't WAIT to get my arms 'round that princess! I'll dress in red and we can pretend I'm Santa's chair.

Love and miss you,
Smacks & Squeezes,

10:05 PM  
Blogger Sara Libbey said...

Happy Birthday Baby!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Grandma K said...

My precious Chloe is two years old and Grandma K is not there to give her all the birthday hugs a grandma contains. My heart is breaking because I am not with you Chloe. I hope someday you will understand why I am not.

But please do not ever think I planned this. I hopr you feel the biggest hug in the world.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Sara Libbey said...

Okay, It has been 2 months now..... let's get going with the new pictures!

Um that is let's get going with the new pictures.....Please. 8)

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home